Monday, January 12, 2009

Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino

Artist: Fats Domino
Song: Blueberry Hill
Year: 1956
Album: This Is Fats Domino

Being born in the mid seventies, my first encounter with "Blueberry Hill" would be from Ron Howard's fifties teenager from Happy Days. I didn't think much of it at that time. Mainly because he would only utter the first line when he would get excited about a girl. I always thought it was a catchphrase and a throwaway line.

Then an oldies station popped up in Chicago. I heard this song and many others like it. They repeated the same songs over and over again, so I got to know the songs pretty well. I liked them enough to purchase a twelve cassette series from a local grocery store of early rock n' roll classics.

I really got to know the songs and was able to match them to their artists. I usually didn't find out who sang what because radio stations rarely gave the playlists over the air. They were oldies and it was assumed that you already knew who the artists were or didn't care enough to want to know. That was always a pet peeve of mine, which is why I try to find out who sang what today.

While I always thought of this as a fifties song, I learned that it was a cover of a song from 1940. It just goes to show that everything old is new again. These songs will undoubtedly be discovered by a new generation with no interest in the past and pass it off as one of their own to the young masses. There's just something a little rock n' roll about that.

Lyrics:
I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill
On Blueberry Hill, when I found you
The moon stood still on Blueberry Hill
And lingered until my dreams came true

The wind in the willow played
Love's sweet melody
But all of those vows you made
Were never to be

Though we're apart, you're part of me still
For you were my thrill on Blueberry Hill

The wind in the willow played
Love's sweet melody
But all of those vows we made
Were never to be

Though we're apart, you're part of me still
For you were my thrill on Blueberry Hill


No comments: