Thursday, January 8, 2009

Love Me Do - The Beatles

Artist: The Beatles
Song: Love Me Do
Year: 1962
Album: Please Please Me

I know what you're thinking. Please Please Me didn't come out until 1963 and the "Love Me Do" single didn't come out until 1964. Wrong! The first single of "Love Me Do" came out in 1962, in England. It is the only studio version to feature Ringo Starr on drums. The Please Please Me version featured Andy White and the Anthology 1 version featured Pete Best.

Record-wise, this is where it all started for the Beatles. Originally, this wasn't going to be the lead single. A song called "How Do You Do It?" was going to be the lead single, but ended up not being released until 1995 on Anthology 1. That song ended up being a number one single for Gerry and the Pacemakers.

"Love Me Do", despite it's sorted recording history, remains a favorite of Beatles fans. Many fans prepped themselves with this song in anticipation to the Beatles arrival in America. Although the Beatles did not play this song during their legendary Ed Sullivan performances, "Love Me Do" is still an important exposure to the band.

I couldn't tell you what my first exposure to the Beatles was. They had been broken up for six years when I was born. I can tell you that there was no escape from the Beatles when I was in my formative years. I would hear them in grocery stores, on the radio, in elevators, and seemingly everywhere else that I went. It all started with this song's single release in 1962.

Lyrics:
Love, love me do
You know I love you
I'll always be true
so please, love me do
oh, love me do

Love, love me do
You know I love you
I'll always be true
so please, love me do
oh, love me do

Someone to love
Somebody new
Someone to love
Someone like you

Love, love me do
You know I love you
I'll always be true
so please, love me do
oh, love me do

Love, love me do
You know I love you
I'll always be true
so please, love me do
oh, love me do
Yeah, love me do
Oh, love me do


No comments: