Wednesday, September 24, 2008

At Last - Etta James

Artist: Etta James
Song: At Last
Year: 1961
Album: At Last!

This song is one of the most romantic ballads of all time. It is overplayed nowadays, but there was a time where it was more of a rarity. It's hard to believe that this was only recorded in 1960 and released in 1961. It sounds like something that would be considered a bit retro in 1961. Although, Ray Charles used some of the same type of string arrangements in his music of the early sixties.

"At Last" always puts a smile on my face. It's one of those songs that instantly brings you back to your first dance. I've never heard this at any school dance that I've ever been to, but the feeling is there in the song.

Etta James has such a powerful, yet understated voice on this song. It strikes the right balance of raw emotion and timidness. This may be a song that I would consider, at some point, during my wedding reception next year. It may be overplayed today, but it is still an undeniable classic.

Lyrics:
At last, my love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song
Oh, yeah, at last
The skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up in clovers
The night I looked at you
I found a dream that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to rest my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known
Oh, yeah when you smile, you smile
Oh, and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
For you are mine
At last


No comments: