Friday, December 19, 2008

The National Anthem - Radiohead

Artist: Radiohead
Song: The National Anthem
Year: 2000
Album: Kid A

It's not so much the lyrics that make the song, it's the way they become part of the song itself. It changes from a simple bass line into a Charles Mingus style free jazz number. The brass section actually mimics the main riff of the song. It sounds like a controlled chaos that will unhinge at any given moment.

This song has become the standard opener for Radiohead concerts. It sets the perfect tone for the show ahead. This feels like the night will hold anything. A new, vital experience will await the listener upon arrival.

I remember the first day that I listened to Kid A, in its entirety. I was heading to a Humanities class on a Saturday morning. I took that class for credit and for the subject matter. I took it on a Saturday because the class was condensed. It only took eight Saturdays and I was given full credit.

The car ride home featured this album. I enjoyed the experience of the album so much, that I took a drive, instead of going home. This way, I was able to listen to all the incredible new sounds. I wasn't the biggest fan of Radiohead, but this album and many that followed, spoke to me in a new light. I even went back and relistened to their older albums with new ears.

Lyrics:
Everyone
Everyone around here
Everyone is so near
What's going on?
What's going on?

Everyone
Everyone is so near
Everyone has got the fear
It's holding on
It's holding on

It's holding on
It's holding on
It's holding on


No comments: