Sunday, October 12, 2008

Angie - Rolling Stones

Artist: Rolling Stones
Song: Angie
Year: 1973
Album: Goats Head Soup

"Angie" is a song that I've always heard on the radio. I had no idea where it came from when I was younger. I was around ten years old, when I realized it was the Rolling Stones. Once I realized that, it seemed hard to believe that I couldn't peg the voice of Mick Jagger earlier.

Despite the downtrodden lyrics and angst-ridden tone, this song propelled the Rolling Stones into the world of ballads. Sure, they had done ballads before, but none captured the heart of the public like "Angie" did. For some reason, this particular song hit the right chord with the public and shot straight to number one. It even knocked Cher's "Half-Breed" out of the number one spot.

This song remains one of the more popular songs in the Rolling Stones catalogue. It has popped up on numerous compilations and live albums. I don't remember if they played this song when I saw them in concert in 1994, on the Voodoo Lounge tour, but I'm sure it snuck in there somewhere. They played every other hit that night, or so it seemed.

Besides being a radio staple since the mid-seventies, the song has endured countless covers from other artists. I particularly enjoy the Tori Amos cover, but that's just a personal preference. As long as the Stones can strut around on stage, I'm positive that this will be a part of their set. That's fine. It's wonderfully written and poignant.

Lyrics:
Angie, Angie, when will those clouds all disappear?
Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here?
With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied
But Angie, Angie, you can't say we never tried
Angie, you're beautiful, but ain't it time we said good-bye?
Angie, I still love you, remember all those nights we cried?
All the dreams we held so close seemed to all go up in smoke
Let me whisper in your ear:
Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here?

Oh, Angie, don't you weep, all your kisses still taste sweet
I hate that sadness in your eyes
But Angie, Angie, ain't it time we said good-bye?
With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied
But Angie, I still love you, baby
Ev'rywhere I look I see your eyes
There ain't a woman that comes close to you
Come on Baby, dry your eyes
But Angie, Angie, ain't it good to be alive?
Angie, Angie, they can't say we never tried


No comments: