Friday, April 3, 2009

Ain't Misbehavin' - Leon Redbone

Artist: Leon Redbone
Song: Ain't Misbehavin' (I'm Saving My Love For You)
Year: 1975
Album: On The Track

Performances so authentic that you can actually hear the surface noise of an old 78. That's what Rolling Stone said about Leon Redbone, anyway. I can believe it. I'm at the right age to have heard the last of the 78s play in homes. My original record player even had a setting for them. I own one 78 set, which is buried away in a record cabinet.

I imagine myself somewhere down south, in the mid 1920s, when I listen to most Leaon Redbone songs. The man himself is a mystery. There is nothing verified about his past. He dresses like is was a century ago. He's been accused of being Andy Kaufman and Frank Zappa. Seeing as though they are both deceased and Leon is still performing, I think those rumors can be put to rest.

I remember watching Leon on Saturday Night Live. I think that is when most of the world discovered this unique gem of an artist. It seemed so out of the ordinary, yet so right. I think that the musical landscape was searching for the next fad. For awhile, it latched itself onto Leon Redbone.

Even if you have no idea who I'm talking about, you know the look and the voice. Leon sang the theme song to the Mr. Belevedere and Harry & The Hendersons television shows. Both were based on previous movies, but that's for another discussion. He also was featured in a very successful Budweiser commercial.

Lyrics:
No one to talk to ....all by myself
No one to walk with.....I'm happy on the shelf
Ain't misbehavin'......savin' my love for you

I know for certain......the one I love
I'm through with flirtin'......it's just you that I've been thinkin' of

Ain't misbehavin'.......savin' my love for you

Like Jack Horner.....in that ole corner
Don't go nowhere.....what do I care?
Your kisses are worth waitin' for......believe me

I don't stay out late.......no where to go
I'm home about eight......just me and my radio
Ain't misbehavin'.......savin' my love for you

Like Jack Horner.....in that ole corner
Don't go nowhere.....what do I care?
Your kisses are worth waitin' for......believe me

I don't stay out late.......no where to go
I'm home about eight......just me and my radio
Ain't misbehavin'.......savin' my love for you

Ain't misbehavin'......I'm savin' my love for you

No comments: