Sunday, April 19, 2009

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Song: Free Bird
Year: 1973
Album: (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)

I'm not the biggest Skynyrd fan, but I like the occasional song. This has to be one of the most cliched songs in rock history, but it still rocks. There's a reason why people jokingly shout it out at almost every rock concert on the planet. It's a damn fine song.

This song is bittersweet for me, especially on this day. My uncle, who passed away two years ago today, loved Lynyrd Skynyrd. He passed away by his own hand, which makes this day a little hard for most in my family. I have been lining up a bunch of his favorite songs and I listen to them on his birthday and the day he died.

When the wake came, everyone knew that I was his concert buddy, so they looked to me to supply the music. I knew he wouldn't want something sappy and religious, so I took the bands that he loved and chose songs that he either loved or were appropriate for the occasion. This song was the ending centerpiece to the disc I made. It was a song that he loved and it was a song that was appropriate.

I wasn't the only one who thought this song was an appropriate choice. Instead of showing a video or a live performance, I think this scene from Elizabethtown would be an appropriate choice to showcase the song.

Lyrics:
If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me?
For I must be travelling on, now,
'Cause there's too many places I've got to see.
But, if I stayed here with you, girl,
Things just couldn't be the same.
'Cause I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.

Bye, bye, its been a sweet love.
Though this feeling I can't change.
But please don't take it badly,
'Cause Lord knows I'm to blame.
But, if I stayed here with you girl,
Things just couldn't be the same.
Cause I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you'll never change.
And this bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.
Lord help me, I can't change.

No comments: