Thursday, April 2, 2009

Welcome To My Nightmare - Alice Cooper

Artist: Alice Cooper
Song: Welcome To My Nightmare
Year: 1975
Album: Welcome To My Nightmare

Horror theatrics are nothing new in rock music. Marilyn Manson is doing well in that niche today. There were horror elements in stage acts before Alice Cooper and there were horror elements after. None would match the perfect storm that is Alice Cooper.

This would become Alice Cooper's signature album. Even though "Only Women Bleed" would be the successful single off of the album, the title track is what made the album. There were television specials and appearances, plus a concert film. "Welcome To My Nightmare" was always a centerpiece.

This song and this album cemented Alice Cooper as the the King of Shock Rock for decades. The only jarring thing about this song was that Alice Cooper would perform it almost anywhere. It's cool to see this performed on the Muppet Show, but also kind of odd.

Lyrics:
Welcome to my nightmare, I think you're gonna like it, I think you're gonna feel you belong.
A nocturnal vacation, unnecessary sedation, you want to feel at home 'cause you belong.
Welcome to my nightmare whoa, ho, ho, ho...

Welcome to my breakdown.
I hope I didn't scare you.
That's just the way we are when we come down.
We sweat and laugh and scream here.
'Cause life is just a dream here.
You know inside you feel right at home, here.
Yeah, Welcome to my nightmare yeah, hey, hey, hey...

Welcome to my nightmare!
I think you're gonna like it!
I think you're gonna feel you belong!
We sweat and laugh and scream here!
'Cause life is just a dream here!
You know inside you feel right at home, here!

Welcome to my nightmare hoo, hoo, woo, hoo...
Welcome to my breakdown...

Yeah!

No comments: