Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Needle And The Damage Done - Neil Young

Artist: Neil Young
Song: The Needle And The Damage Done
Year: 1972
Album: Harvest

Simply put, this may be the sweetest sounding song ever to be written about the dangers of heroin. Neil had watched many great artists die by the needle at this point in his career. It wouldn't be the last.

I can remember hearing this song for the first time and being in awe. I couldn't believe that a song could sit so still, yet knock you out at the same time. It was a lesson that I learned at an early age. Less is sometimes more and you can scream by the use of a whisper.

Everyone from Simple Minds to the Red Hot Chili Peppers have covered this classic. Another round of covers appeared after Kurt Cobain was found dead. Although, not many of those have been recorded. Every time an artist dies by the needle, this song can be heard playing somewhere.

Lyrics:
I caught you knockin' at my cellar door
I love you, baby, can I have some more
Ooh, ooh, the damage done.
I hit the city and I lost my band
I watched the needle take another man
Gone, gone, the damage done.
I sing the song because I love the man
I know that some of you don't understand
Milk-blood to keep from running out.
I've seen the needle and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's like a settin' sun.

No comments: