Sunday, April 5, 2009

Discipline - Nine Inch Nails

Artist: Nine Inch Nails
Song: Discipline
Year: 2008
Album: The Slip

For some odd reason, I unplugged my iPod and listened to the radio on April 22, 2008. I listened to the local alternative station to catch up on the new music. From time to time, I will listen to the radio and see what's getting airplay. I usually find one or two songs to plug into the iPod.

No sooner did I turn the radio on, when the DJ informed the listeners that a download had just arrived unannounced and they were going to play it on the air. The song was brand spankin' new Nine Inch Nails. I'm surprised that I didn't swerve because I was that excited.

Trent had just finished the song hours before and we were now listening to it without warning. Instantly, I knew that NIN was ready to take full advantage of the internet as a way to release instant music. I moved and grooved the best I could while driving.

When I found my way home, I scoured the web for a download. I found one rather quickly and into the iPod "Discipline" went. To me, the song sounded like a cross between "Only" and something off of the Downward Spiral. No matter what it could be compared to, it rocked.

Lyrics:
am I?
am I still tough enough?
feels like I'm wearing down
is my visciousness
losing ground?
am I taking too much
did I cross a line
I need my role in this
very clearly defined
I need your discipline
I need your help
I need your discipline
you know once I start I cannot help myself

and now it's starting up
feels like I'm losing touch
nothing matters to me
nothing matters as much
I see you left a mark
up and down my skin
I don't know where I end
and where you begin
I need your discipline
I need your help
I need your discipline
you know once I start I cannot help myself
once I start I cannot stop myself

No comments: