Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I Hate Myself And Want To Die - Nirvana

Artist: Nirvana
Song: I Hate Myself And Want To Die
Year: 1993
Album: The Beavis & Butthead Experience

How odd that a joke one year would be a cry for help the next. "I Hate Myself And Want To Die" was the original title for the In Utero album. Kurt thought that it would be hilarious to make that saying, which was a favorite response of his when asked how he was doing, the title of the highly anticipated record.

This song was recorded during the In Utero sessions, but ultimately was thrown away on a compilation album built around Beavis & Butthead. The album is one of the highly successful alternative/metal compilations of the early nineties. The album leaned more towards metal and odd alternative bands with a few rap groups thrown in for good measure.

If it weren't for the morbid title, "I Hate Myself And Want To Die" probably would have made the cut on the album. Sometimes the "b" sides are better than what makes the album. Nirvana had a good track record for catchy throwaway songs. This could have easily replaced "Milk It" or "Very Ape" on the album.

The interesting thing on the track is the Saturday Night Live connection. I am a huge fan of SNL, so when I listened to this on headphones, I was in for a surprise. The spoken word part of the song was originally a Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey bumper. This is just another way that SNL is creeping into all walks of life.

Lyrics:
Runny nose and runny yolk
Even if you have a cold still
You can cough on me again
I still haven't had my fulfill

In the someday what's that odd sound?

Broken heart and broken bones
Think about some capsules of horse pills
One more quirky cliche'd phrase
You're the one I wanna refill

In the someday what's that odd sound?

Most people don't realize
That two large pieces of coral,
Painted brown, and attached to his skull
With common wood screws can make a child look like a deer

In the someday what's that odd sound?

Runny nose and runny yolk
Even if you have a cold still
You can cough on me again
I still haven't had my fulfill

In the someday what's that odd sound?



No comments: