Saturday, November 22, 2008

Cover Me - Bruce Springsteen

Artist: Bruce Springsteen
Song: Cover Me
Year: 1984
Album: Born In The U.S.A.

BRUUUUUUUCE!!! as my mom would say. I've had a love/hate relationship with Bruce Springsteen. I used to not care for his music, but as I've gotten older, I've learned to appreciate more of it. I downright enjoy it now. This album, I've liked since its release.

What's not to like about this album? I can't think of anything. It's a damn near perfect album. It's something that I could put on and listen to all the way through. It's got everything. Meaningful lyrics. Something to dance to. Something to sing along with. Something to veg to. A great sound. Everything.

"Cover Me" was a struggle to keep on the album. It was never intended to be on this or any other Springsteen album. It was recorded as a demo for Donna Summer and intended to be a disco song. Bruce even recorded a duet with Donna Summer of this song that has yet to see the light of day.

The only thing that saved this song was Springsteen's manager insisting that it be put on the album. He loved the way the rock edge mixed with the song. It was a wise choice and the public is the better for it. This is one reason why I advocate everything from an artist eventually be released. You don't know what wonderful gems are hiding away.

Lyrics:
The times are tough now, just getting tougher
This old world is rough, it's just getting rougher
Cover me, come on baby, cover me
Well I'm looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me
Promise me baby you won't let them find us
Hold me in your arms, let's let our love blind us
Cover me, shut the door and cover me
Well I'm looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me

Outside's the rain, the driving snow
I can hear the wild wind blowing
Turn out the light, bolt the door
I ain't going out there no more

This whole world is out there just trying to score
I've seen enough I don't want to see any more,
Cover me, come on and cover me
I'm looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me
Looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me


No comments: