Wednesday, November 5, 2008

For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder

Artist: Stevie Wonder
Song: For Once In My Life
Year: 1968
Album: For Once In My Life

The results of last night's election got me thinking of inspirational songs. Songs that signal change. Songs that signal hope. Songs by artists that the winner says are his favorite.

While Barack Obama likes a plethora of music as diverse as the Rolling Stones, the Fugees, Bach and Bob Dylan, I chose a Stevie Wonder song to mark his victory. The title makes me think of changes for the better. The lyrics express a desire to celebrate life's small accomplishments.

On the surface, the song can be about a girl. Dig deeper into the context of the song and it inspires visions of life altering actions, for the greater good. I don't like discussing politics because tensions tend to run very high and arguments seem to break out over the smallest things. I don't mind voicing my opinion, but I rarely am the one to breach the subject.

Today, I feel the world is just a little bit safer. There is a tiny ray of hope starting to shine through the darkness. The clouds are starting to part and sunshine is finally peeking through. A change is on the horizon. It's about time.

Lyrics:
For once in my life I have someone who needs me
Someone I've needed so long
For once, unafraid, I can go where life leads me
And somehow I know I'll be strong

For once I can touch what my heart used to dream of
Long before I knew
Someone warm like you
Would make my dreams come true

For once in my life I won't let sorrow hurt me
Not like it hurt me before
For one, I have something I know won't desert me
I'm not alone anymore

For once, I can say, this is mine, you can't take it
As long as I know I have love, I can make it
For once in my life, I have someone who needs me


No comments: