Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fire - Jimi Hendrix

Artist: Jimi Hendrix
Song: Fire
Year: 1967
Album: Are You Experienced?

With Mitch Mitchell's passing yesterday, the original Experience are now all deceased. Mitch created the backbone to Jimi Hendrix's early sound. "Fire" is a wonderful example of his drumming performance with the Experience.

This song is usually associated with Jimi Hendrix, but not as closely as his other hits. A more modern example of this song would be the Red Hot Chili Peppers cover from the eighties. People today seem to be aware of that recording slightly more than the original because the Chili Peppers are still making music.

Every generation eventually discovers Jimi. It was around my first year in high school that I finally stumbled upon Jimi, by way of "Purple Haze" being constantly played on the local classic rock station. Next came "Foxey Lady" in the Wayne's World movie. After that, I was hooked. I constantly battled through racks of records trying to track down every last song by Jimi Hendrix. With all the different releases out there, I still don't think I got everything.

Despite what radio thought, crowds went wild for "Fire" whenever it would pop up in concert. It was also a popular staple of radio sessions. There's an album of BBC performances that has a really great version of "Fire", along with other variations and rarities. It's definitely worth a few listens.

Lyrics:
Alright!
Now dig this baby!
You don't care for me,
I don't care about that.
You got a new fool,
Hah, I like him like that.
I have only one burning desire,
Let me stand next to your fire.
[Let me stand next to your fire] Hey, let me stand next to your fire
[Let me stand next to your fire] Oh, let me stand baby
[Let me stand next to your fire] Let me stand
[Let me stand next to your fire] Yeah baby

Listen here baby,
Stop acting so crazy!
You say your mom ain't home,
It ain't my concern.
Just don't play with me,
and you won't get burned.
I have only one itching desire,
Let me stand next to your fire
[Let me stand next to your fire] Yeah, let me stand next to your fire
[Let me stand next to your fire] Let me stand
[Let me stand next to your fire] Oh, Let me stand
[Let me stand next to your fire] Oh

Oh, move over Rover,
And let Jimi take over.
Yeah, you know what I'm talking about
Yeah!
Get on with it baby!

That's what I'm talking about.
Now dig this!
Ha!
Now listen baby!
You try to give me your money,
You better save it babe.
Save it for your rainy day.
I have only one burning desire,
let me stand next to your fire.
[Let me stand next to your fire] Oh, let me stand
[Let me stand next to your fire] Let me stand baby
[Let me stand next to your fire] I ain't gonna do you no harm
[Let me stand next to your fire] Oh

Yeah!
You better move it baby . . .
I ain't gonna hurt you baby . . .


No comments: