Friday, November 7, 2008

Paralyzed - Elvis Presley

Artist: Elvis Presley
Song: Paralyzed
Year: 1956
Album: Elvis

I should like Elvis more than I do. I'm not one for overexposed artists. If an artist is shoved down my throat, I tend not to like them until they can prove otherwise. Elvis fans can get a little weird. When people start seeing him working at a donut shop in Akron, Ohio, those fans are taking it a little too far.

The loss of any artist that is beloved is especially hard for the public to grasp. The public knows every little detail of their lives, but they still don't know the artist. It's a strange situation. One that causes overexposure and sometimes death. Like I said, I should like Elvis a lot more than I do, but his overexposure really turns me off.

That's not to say that I don't like anything from him. Far from it. I like a handful of select songs from various points in his career. I appreciate these songs. Most of them are rarely played anymore. The ones that are still played are powerful enough to stand above the legend of Elvis.

"Paralyzed" is a song that doesn't get a lot of play anymore. Truthfully, I almost passed it up because of that. When I did give it a closer listen, I found a great tune that should get more respect. I will always champion the good songs that fall off the face of the Earth. This is as close to that as any Elvis song can get.

Lyrics:
When you looked into my eyes
I stood there like I was hyp-notised
You sent a feeling to my spine
A feeling warm and smooth and fine
But all I could do were stand there paralyzed
When we kissed, ooh what a thrill
You took my hand and, ooh baby, what a chill
I felt like grabbin' you real tight
Squeeze and squeeze with all my might
But all I could do were stand there paralyzed

Oh yeah lucky me, I'm singing ev'ry day
Ever since that day you came my way
You made my life for me just one big happy game
I'm gay ev'ry morning
At night I'm still the same
Do you remember that wonderful time
You held my hand and swore that you'll be mine
In front of preacher you said
"I do" I couldn't say a word for thinking of you
All I could do was stand there paralyzed


No comments: