Monday, November 24, 2008

Old Timer - that dog.

Artist: that dog.
Song: Old Timer
Year: 1994
Album: that dog.

Don't worry Anne Waronker. All that touring paid off. I saw that dog. open up for the Foo Fighters on March 29, 1996 in Chicago. I was captivated enough by your set that I sought out all of the group's music. I thought the harmonies and Petra's violin mixed with punk was an awesome mixture.

"Old Timer" had me mesmerized when I saw it live. The rest of the set was fantastic. The whole reason that I bought the ticket was to see Dave Grohl perform, but I came away with so much more. I became a fan of that dog. and the Amps that night. I had a predisposition to like the Amps because of Kim Deal. Seeing that dog. was the highlight of that concert.

The crowd seemed to be into it as well. I guess that most of the audience didn't go out and run to the record store the next day. Maybe they did, but I'm guessing not. I was thrilled to see a new album in 1997. Then I was filled with sorrow when I heard about the band's dissolvement.

Is it too much to ask for a that dog. reunion? I would pay to see that! I won't hold my breath, but I can sleep better at night knowing that I got to see that dog. in concert when I had the chance. Thanks for the great music!

Lyrics:
Hey old timer, can I ask you a question
While you're standing at the buffet?
Is this your first or second helping?
Why'd you come here anyway?


Hey old timer, why ya drinkin' the wine at Shakeys?
Hey old timer, I can tell your feet get achey.

Was it the food or the special that got you?
Did you cut your coupons in the Sunday Times?
You got your chili, don't forget your cornbread.
I can tell you come here all the time.

Did your friends say they couldn't make it?
Did you come here all alone?
Two-for-one's a stretch, you'll have to fake it.
Maybe we can share, I'm on my own.

Hey old timer, why ya drinkin' the wine at Shakeys?
Hey old timer, I can tell your feet get achey.
Hey old timer. Hey old timer. Hey old timer.
Hey old timer.


No comments: