Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Do The Evolution - Pearl Jam

Artist: Pearl Jam
Song: Do The Evolution
Year: 1998
Album: Yield

This album saw Pearl Jam go back to form. They would still experiment, but not as drastically as on No Code. I seemed to be the only person who really liked No Code, so I'm not surprised that Pearl Jam would try to sound like their first few albums. It may have seemed like a step back, but it was actually a step forward.

The band was in danger of self destructing just a few years prior. They had done everything in their power to alienate their fringe fan base, which made up most of their sales. Then they released a commercial failure, but a critical success in No Code. A direction had to be made. Then, out of nowhere, Yield showed up in February 1998. It became an instant smash. There were hit songs and hint of an actual video.

When I first heard that "Do The Evolution" had been selected to be the video, I thought they had made a mistake. I thought that there were better candidates for the video. "Brain Of J", "Wishlist" and Given To Fly" easily come to mind. "Do The Evolution" was one of the last songs that I would consider for a single. I thought that Pearl Jam was creating another career suicide move, until I actually saw the video. Not only did I love what I saw, the song instantly became my favorite song in their catalogue.

It's funny how images can turn a good song into a great one. Anime is not my field of animation enjoyment, but this video works. It features stunning animation and a plot that goes well with the lyrics. I first saw Pearl Jam on the summer tour for this album. It was an experience that I will always remember and always cherish. I was a fan before this song. After it, I was a believer.

Sony prohibits embedding of YouTube files, so you will not see the amazing video here. You will see a rehearsal performance from "Single Video Theory". Enjoy!

Lyrics:
Woo
I’m ahead, I’m a man
I’m the first mammal to wear pants, yeah
I’m at peace with my lust
I can kill ’cause in God I trust, yeah
It’s evolution, baby

I’m at piece, I’m the man
Buying stocks on the day of the crash
On the loose, I’m a truck
All the rolling hills, I’ll flatten’ em out, yeah
It’s herd behavior, uh huh
It’s evolution, baby

Admire me, admire my home
Admire my song, here’s my coat
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
This land is mine, this land is free
I’ll do what I want but irresponsibly
It’s evolution, baby

I’m a thief, I’m a liar
There’s my church, I sing in the choir:
(hallelujah¡­ hallelujah¡­)

Admire me, admire my home
Admire my song, admire my clothes
’cause we know, appetite for a nightly feast
Those ignorant indians got nothin’ on me
Nothin’, why?
Because, it’s evolution, baby!

I am ahead, I am advanced
I am the first mammal to make plans, yeah
I crawled the earth, but now I’m higher
Twenty-ten, watch it go to fire
It’s evolution, baby
It’s evolution, baby
Do the evolution
Come on, come on, come on


No comments: