Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Papa Gene's Blues - The Monkees

Artist: The Monkees
Song: Papa Gene's Blues
Year: 1966
Album: The Monkees

Like many kids, I grew up watching the Monkees. The only difference was that I grew up watching 15 year old reruns on low power UHF stations. My favorite Monkee, when I was a kid, was Peter. I thought he was goofy and kind hearted. My close second was Mike. He had this sort of laid back cool about him, with smarts. Davy and Micky were fine, in their own right, but two out of the four had to be in my bottom half and they were it.

As my musical understanding grew, I began to appreciate Mike even more. His songs really stood out as completely thought out. He became my favorite. When I found out that David Bowie changed his name to avoid confusion with Davy, I had to laugh out loud. Micky instantly climbed up in my appreciation because of his work ethic and contributions. Peter will always be a favorite because of my childhood memories and his oddball sense of humor.

Even when I was a child, "Papa Gene's Blues" stood out as something special. I never heard it on the radio, but I would sit glued to my television whenever the song popped up in the show.

I was very disappointed when I went to see the Monkees in the nineties and Michael Nesmith wasn't there. Therefore, many of my favorite Mike songs would not be attempted. At least I got to see the other three together before Peter was no longer a part of the band. I think I'll pop in my DVD of Elephant Parts and ponder the wonders of Liquid Paper.

Lyrics:
No heartaches felt, no longer lonely,
Nights of waiting finally won me
Happiness that's all rolled up in you.
And now, with you as inspiration,
I look toward a destination
Sunny bright that once before was blue.

I have no more than I did before,
But now I've got all that I need,
For I love you and I know you love me.

So take my hand, I'll start my journey
Free from all the helpless worry
That besets a man when he's alone.
For strength is mine when we're together,
And with you I know I'll never
Have to pass the high road for the low.

I have no more than I did before,
But now I've got all that I need,
For I love you and I know you love me.
(Play, magic fingers!)

(Yee-ha!)

(Oh, pick it, Luther!)

I have no more than I did before,
But now I've got all that I need,
For I love you and I know you love me.
Yes, I love you and I know you love me.


No comments: