Sunday, September 7, 2008

And I Love Her - The Beatles

Artist: The Beatles
Song: And I Love Her
Year: 1964
Album: A Hard Day's Night

The Beatles have always been a part of my life. I resisted for a long time though. After awhile, the songs were just so catchy that I couldn't help start liking them.

By 1995, I had tracked down every Beatles album on CD. A few years earlier, I had obtained two records from my dad's collection. He doesn't really like Beatles music, so I think someone left them at his place when he was younger.

The American versions of Rubber Soul and Beatles '65 have stared at me since I was a kid. Now they are in my collection. In this age of digital tracks, I do still have all of my records.

When I was down on my luck, dating-wise, I was hooked up with a mutual friend's friend. Don't you love when that happens? We dated on and off for many years and still remain on speaking terms. Her mom was a huge Beatles fan. We would talk about the Beatles for hours on end, when her daughter was busy with other things.

One cold February night, I was in their backyard waiting. What exactly I was waiting for has been lost to the erasure of time. I do remember that she was always late, so I was probably waiting for her to come out.

I'm strange, I like the silence of a cold, winter night. The kind where it's crystal clear and the air is crisp. I can stand out there for hours, if it's not windy. I remember looking at the stars in the sky and admiring how bright they were. It's rare for the Chicago suburbs to get dark enough to where the stars brightly shine, but this was the perfect night for that.

While I was out in the cold, I started singing "And I Love Her" softly to myself. It was a perfect stolen moment.

Lyrics:
I give her all my love
That's all I do
And if you saw my love
You'd love her too
I love her

She gives me everything
And tenderly
The kiss my lover brings
She brings to me
And I love her

A love like ours
Could never die
As long as I
Have you near me

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her


No comments: