Monday, September 15, 2008

You See Me Crying - Aerosmith

Artist: Aerosmith
Song: You See Me Crying
Year: 1975
Album: Toys In The Attic

The first Aerosmith album that I ever bought was Toys In The Attic. I picked it out at random from a bunch of Aerosmith cassettes at K-Mart in 1988. I had slept over at my cousin's house and he had a compact disc of Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation. I listened to that and Def Leppard's Hysteria all weekend.

When I got home, I planned my trip to K-Mart to buy an Aerosmith cassette. I didn't get a CD player until 1991, so it was cassettes until then.

All I kept talking about was Aerosmith. My dad, overheard this and said, "Aerosmith? That's my music."

I had seen them on MTV for awhile, but I never really paid attention. I thought Steven Tyler's outfits were funny. He was in that big open shirt, layered, scarf phase. They were eye catching. It wasn't until that weekend sleepover, that everything just clicked.

I hurried down to K-Mart the next day. I bought Toys In The Attic for two reasons. First, it was $5.88. The Permanent Vacation cassette was $9.99. Usually the newer releases were higher and they would come down in price later on. So my plan was to stock up on the older, cheaper releases and then I would get the new release later.

The second reason that I bought Toys In The Attic first was the cover. I stared at that cover for a few minutes, taking in all the little details. I loved album covers that had a bunch of little things going on. I would study them for hours.

A quick look at the list of songs sealed the deal. I had actually heard of two songs. I'm sure I would have picked Toys In The Attic regardless. Based on the cover, I couldn't go wrong. If I hated the music, at least I had something interesting to look at.

It turned out to be the best pick I could have made. Toys In The Attic remains one of my favorite albums from Aerosmith. Over time, I would find the deeper meanings of the songs on that album. One song that stood out from the album was the last song. "You See Me Crying" was the perfect closer to the album. It was a ballad, but I had never heard it before. Even my dad didn't know the song.

It's been one of my hidden gems ever since. Occasionally, I would slip it into mix tapes. It always got a positive response. I suppose that on an album with so many great songs, there will be a few that get lost in the shuffle.

Lyrics:
You see me crying, don't let it getcha down.
You see me crying, I'm back to the lost and found.

Honey whatcha done to your head?
Honey was it the words I said?
Honey whatcha done to your head?
Honey was it the words I said?

You see me crying, say your a ladies man.
You see me crying, I'm so hard to understand.

Honey whatcha done to your head?
Honey was the words that I said?
Honey whatcha done to your head?
Honey was the words that I said?

You see me crying, please say you'll stick around.
And I got to be your lover, hon, let me take you to town.
And I'll show you everything that I know.
And I'll never let you go...
Cause my love is like a merry-go-around...

Honey whatcha done to your head?
Honey was the words that I said?
Honey whatcha done to your head?
Honey was the words that I said?
Ahhh

No comments: