Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Can't Take It No More - John Fogerty

Artist: John Fogerty
Song: I Can't Take It No More
Year: 2007
Album: Revival

It seems that lately, more and more artists are aligning themselves against the Bush administration. That's pretty par for the course for newer artists and artists with a long history of protesting. Something is usually wrong when artists who have been quiet in recent years start coming out of the woodwork with new protest songs. John Fogerty is one of these artists.

While never backing down from a fight, Fogerty has been part of the silent majority the last few decades. He has always alluded to things in his songwriting, but the past few years have brought out a more blunt approach to his songwriting style. This is the new type of protest song from the old guard.

There is no mistaking who Fogerty is talking about in this song. Gone are the clever analogies and clouded lyrics. In the wake of those missing elements, come newer, bolder statements. There is no holding back about feelings, while clever throwbacks remind us of his peak period with Creedence Clearwater Revival.

The song itself is a short, punky burst of classic rock with an attitude and a message. Plus, it's catchy enough to get stuck in your brain for the rest of the day.

Lyrics:
I can't take it no more
I can't take it no more
I'm sick and tired of your dirty little war
I can't take it no more

You know you lied about the casualties
You know you lied about the WMD's
You know you lied about the detainees
All over this world

Stop talking about staying the course
You keep a-beating that old dead horse
You know you lied about how we went to war
I can't take it no more

I can't take it
I can't take it

I bet you never saw the old school yard
I bet you never saw the national guard
Your daddy wrote a check and there you are
Another fortunate son

I can't take it no more
I can't take it no more
I'm sick and tired of your dirty little war
I can't take it no more


No comments: