Friday, September 19, 2008

Chicago - Frank Sinatra

Artist: Frank Sinatra
Song: Chicago
Year: 1958
Album: Come Fly With Me

I was born in Chicago, so I have a deep affection for most things associated with Chicago, especially songs. I would say the only thing that escapes my love of all things Chicago would be the Cubs. I just never got into the Cubs. It not from lack of trying. It's just that they never captured my heart the way the White Sox did, when I was younger.

This song is heavily associated with Chicago, although not as much as Sinatra's other Chicago song, "My Kind Of Town" is. Still, this song brings back older memories of when I was younger.

I can remember going into Chicago with my dad and seeing the sights. I went to work with him a few times and got to see a side of the city that many people don't see. He worked for ComEd, so I would see the back ways into some places. I would go down streets that others wouldn't necessarily think of taking, in favor of more well known streets.

Chicago is famous for its stopping and starting streets. Chances are, if it's not a main street, the road will suddenly stop. Maybe it will pick up a few blocks down, maybe a mile, maybe never.

Even around me, in the south suburbs, Central Ave. stops around 70th and picks up closer to Midway airport. In order to get through, you would normally have to go to either Cicero Ave., which runs by the airport, or Harlem Ave., which runs by Toyota Park, where the Chicago Fire soccer team plays.

One note about the song itself. Billy Sunday was a baseball player who turned into an evangelist. He preached against vices, such as alcohol.

Lyrics:
Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town
Chicago, Chicago, I will show you around - I love it
Bet your bottom dollar you'll lose the blues in Chicago
Chicago, the town that Billy Sunday couldn't shut down

On State Street, that great street, I just want to say
They do things they don't do on Broadway
They have the time, the time of their life
I saw a man, he danced with his wife
In Chicago, Chicago, my home town

Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town
Chicago, Chicago, I'll show you around - I love it
Bet your bottom dollar you'll lose the blues in Chicago
Chicago, the town that Billy Sunday could not shut down

On State Street, that great street, I just want to say
They do things that they never do on Broadway - hey
They have the time, the time of their life
I saw a man, and he danced with his wife
In Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, that's my home town


No comments: