Friday, September 12, 2008

I'm Walkin' - Fats Domino

Artist: Fats Domino
Song: I'm Walkin'
Year: 1957
Album: Here Stands Fats Domino

When I first recall hearing this song, I was five. It was in my favorite movie, The Blues Brothers. It comes in the movie when Cab Calloway is speaking to the orphans. He tells them to put the word on the streets. Then this song comes in.

Even at five years old, my musical tastes were shaping. I absolutely loved anything that involved John Belushi, at that age. I would stay up for SNL, hoping to catch a glimpse of him. I didn't know that he was long gone from the cast at that point. Hey, I was only five.

I watched The Blues Brothers and Continental Divide over and over again. We had all three movie channels. Yes, this is going back some. There were only HBO, Cinemax and Showtime offered on cable at that time. I can remember one evening where The Blues Brothers was on each of the movie channels at the same time. They even started at the exact same time. I remember flipping to each channel and catching the line I had just heard on the previous channel.

Suffice to say, I had the movie memorized. I even knew when to drop the swear words when my parents were within earshot. My parents kept the news of John Belushi's passing from me. I can remember getting into an argument over who sang "Jailhouse Rock" first. Elvis or Joliet Jake. I was five. I was still learning.

"I'm Walkin'" always captured my imagination. I never knew who it was by. I eventually learned that the same guy who sang "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That A Shame" sang this song. When I found that out, I was surprised that I hadn't made the connection earlier.

I sought out all the music that was featured in that movie. I was disappointed that "Stand By Your Man" wasn't on the soundtrack. I was ecstatic when I found lost songs that were cut from the movie. The band was also supposed to sing "Sink The Bismark" in that country bunker.

In other posts I will share other musical discoveries from The Blues Brothers movie. For now, it's all about Fats Domino.

Lyrics:
I'm walkin', yes indeed
And I'm talkin'
'Bout you and me
I'm hopin'
That you come back to me
Um-hmm

I'm lonely
As I can be
I'm waiting
For your company
I'm hopin'
That you come back to me

What you gonna do
When the well runs dry?
You gonna run away and hide
I'm gonna run right by your side
For you pretty baby, I'll even die

I'm walkin', yes indeed
And I'm talkin'
'Bout you and me
I'm hopin'
That you come back to me

I'm walkin', yes indeed
And I'm talkin'
'Bout you and me
I'm hopin'
That you come back to me, hee-hee

I'm lonely
As I could be
I'm waiting
For your company
I'm hopin'
That you come back to me

What you gonna do
When the well run dry?
You gonna sit right down and cry
What you gonna do
When I say, 'Bye-bye?'
All you gonna do is dry your eye

I'm walkin', yes indeed
And I'm talkin'
'Bout you and me
I'm hopin'
That you come back to me.


No comments: