Thursday, September 4, 2008

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley

Artist: Gnarls Barkley
Song: Crazy
Year: 2006
Album: St. Elsewhere

I can remember listening to the car radio when I first heard this song. "Crazy" had been out for a little while and I remember hearing about it everywhere. I usually avoid things that are hyped up so much.

I was driving out to a friend's house for a night of trivia and movies. This song came on the radio and I couldn't help but being impressed. It sounds so simple, yet so effective. I was in an almost trance-like stare while driving. The beat of this song had it's power over me.

I'm a Rolling Stone subsciber, so I'm not completely out of the loop for current popular music. This took me by surprise. The last time that I had heard Cee-Lo, he was writing and producing other people's music and warming up to a solo career. When I had last heard from DJ Danger Mouse, he made one of the best mash-ups of the internet age with The Grey Album.

I was not ready for this to hit.

I couldn't get this song out of my head for weeks. Normally, that's a bad thing. Not so, in this case. It was so simple and catchy, but still somewhat complex, that I didn't mind it running through my head. Suffice to say, I'm lucky that I had taken that route many times before. I don't remember how I got out of the wooded area on Archer Ave. without swerving off the road. It was like tunnel vision. I don't know how I arrived to I-55, but I got there safely.

I love when a song grabs you like that. I just wish that it didn't happen when I was driving.

Lyrics:
I remember when
I remember, I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that place
Even your emotions have an echo in so much space

And when you’re out there, without care
Yeah I was out of touch
But it wasn’t because I didn’t know enough
I just knew too much

Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
Possibly

And now that you are having the time of your life
Well think twice
That’s my only advice

Come on now, Who do you, Who do you, who do you,
Who do you think you are?
Ha Ha Ha, Bless your soul
You really think you’re in control?
Well…

I think you’re crazy
I think you’re crazy
I think you’re crazy
Just like me

My heroes are at the heart
To the life I wanna live
And all I remember, is thinking
I wanna be like them
Mmhmm
Ever since I was little,
Ever since I was little it looked like fun
And as no coincidence I’ve come
And I can die when I’m done

Maybe I’m crazy
Maybe you’re crazy
Maybe we’re crazy
Probably

Oooooooo

No comments: