Friday, September 5, 2008

Sidewalking - The Jesus And Mary Chain

Artist: The Jesus & Mary Chain
Song: Sidewalking
Year: 1988
Album: Barbed Wire Kisses

Sometimes all it takes is the right environment to make a song a favorite. This song was alright. In the heyday of the early nineties alternative barrage, this was swept under the rug. It garnered a little attention when it was first released, and was buried by the more successful mainstream bands a few years later.

A local Chicago radio station (Q101), who started switching to alternative music in 1992, would play an occasional track from this band. I never heard this song though. This song escaped my detection until around 1994. I thought it was a Love & Rockets rip off, when I first heard it.

I was unimpressed and thought nothing more of the song until a decade later. When I was searching for songs to put on the iPod, I rediscovered the song and decided to throw it in the mix. I'll do that with newer music. New to me, at least.

I constantly put the iPod on shuffle. Anything can come up at any time. That's when I can really judge a song. It will come up unexpectedly, so I can get an honest reaction. This song came on when I was driving. It fit perfectly with the mood of the drive. Now, whenever it pops up, I drive a few extra blocks to make sure I finish the song.

Sometimes it takes years, but eventually, a good song will stick with me.

Lyrics:
Chilled to the bone and five miles to home
I'm messing in the dark and feeling all alone
I got ice in my fire got the heat in my wire
Inject a little heat i'm burning up the tires
Sidewalking
Sidewalking
Sidewalking
Sidewalking

Talking like i'm on and i'm the only one
I'm making like i'm done and staring like a gun
And i got to get a car
And i got to get a ride
Gotta get a car
Got jesus on my side
Sidewalking
Sidewalking
Sidewalking
Sidewalking

Messing in the dark and walking all alone
In the streets
Know just where i'm going
Sidewalking
Sidewalking

Chilled to the bone
Chilled to the bone
Hotwired heat all the way home


No comments: